The Indonesian government has agreed to allow PT Freeport Indonesia’s copper miners to continue the export of copper concentrates until the repairs in their smelting are completed, the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources told reporters on Friday.
The government had previously given Freeport the exception until the end of 2024 from the export ban of copper concentrate, because the company increased production at the new Manyar smelter.
However, the smelter was closed after a fire in October, and repairs were ongoing. Freeport has requested an export quota of 1.3 million tons this year to handle the increasing stock of copper concentrate.
Minister Bahlil Lahlalia said the government had decided to allow exports by Freeport but would impose export duties on shipping as a penalty.
He said the government is currently calculating the volume of exports to be allocated to Freeport.
Freeport Indonesia cannot be contacted immediately to comment.
Source: Reuters