Tankers under US sanctions dump oil at Chinese ports, according to LSEG data


A tanker hit by new US sanctions is dumping Russian oil at a port operated by Shandong Port Group in eastern China, shipping data on LSEG Eikon showed on Thursday.

The tanker was the first since the sanctions announcement last week to depart for Shandong province, where many independent Chinese refineries that are big importers of Russian crude are based.

This will be closely monitored by those involved in the industry who will want to know how strictly these measures will be implemented.

The sanctions include a grace period that excludes cargoes loaded before January 10 and unloaded before March 12, traders said, but the industry is still halting some shipments as they assess the risks.

Shandong Port Group could not be reached for comment after normal business hours.

The Panama-flagged crude oil tanker Mermar docked on Wednesday at Longkou port in Yantai city. LSEG data shows that the price has been drifting since Saturday.

The data also shows the Aframax-sized tanker carrying 80,000 metric tons (600,000 barrels) of Russian ESPO Blend crude was loaded on January 6 from the port of Kozmino on Russia’s east coast.

Mermar was among 183 vessels designated by the Biden administration on Friday in an announcement that disrupted supplies from the world’s No. 2 producer to China and India and reduced vessel availability.

The US Office of Foreign Assets Control said Mermar had stopped at a Russian port where oil consistently traded well above a $60 price limit imposed by the West in an effort to curb Russian oil revenues.

The tanker is thought to be part of Russia’s shadow fleet that until now has been used to evade sanctions. Its registered owner, Merluza Group, has also been restricted by the new policy.

The ship is managed by Hong Kong-based Ocean Anemone Shipmanagement and operates under insurance from Russia-based Balance Insurance, according to shipping data seen by Reuters. Reuters was unable to contact Ocean Anemone Ship Management. Balance Insurance did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for comment.

The ship had insurance cover from Maritime Mutual New Zealand until May 2025, but changed insurers in November 2024, according to data seen by Reuters.

Prior to the announcement of US sanctions, Shandong Port Group had banned tankers subject to US sanctions from entering its ports in the eastern Chinese province.
Source: Reuters



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *